Thursday, July 24, 2014

Healthy Snacking: Tiger Nuts


So, I think I’m getting back on track (pun intended), so I can explore other topics pertaining to healthy living.

Recently I’ve experienced a lot of temptation to snack – I know snacking is not such a bad habit per say…it’s the choice of what to snack on and what eventually enters the mouth that is the killer. So, over the next couple of weeks I’ll be sharing some information and recipes I’ve learned recently.

This week I’ll start with the humble TIGER NUT (the Hausa’s in Nigeria call it aya, but it’s also known as earth almond).

First of all, Tiger Nuts aren’t really nuts but tubers (they grow in the roots of the plant) rich in starch, protein and minerals (Phosphorus, Magnesium & Potassium) and vitamins C and E.  In a nutshell (get it…nut? LOL):

1.   High in fiber which help bowel health

2.   The milk from tiger nuts is a great source of protein and since tiger nuts are a tuber, its plant protein – which researchers say is better than animal protein (I’ll include a recipe for tiger nut milk at the end of this post)

3.   Some research say that tiger nuts could help control blood pressure

4.   Due to its relatively low sugar content, it’s beneficial to diabetics and people (like myself) wanting to control their sugar intake

5.   The oil extract from tiger nuts is usually categorized as ‘heart healthy’, meaning when used in moderation can help maintain healthy cardiovascular (heart) functions

When I read this I’m thinking of people like myself who are trying to manage daily calorie intake; I’m thinking of people like myself who like to peck and snack and are looking for healthy options. If you are familiar with Tiger Nuts you will know that just a handful of the fresh or roasted options goes a long way in filling you up and taking the edge off your desire to nibble; making it a viable and healthy snack option.

But it’s not only good for snacking, milk derived from Tiger Nuts is delicious, nutritious and easy to make. Here is how you make it…


You will need...
·        1 bushel of fresh tiger nuts (I prefer not to use roasted nuts)
·       Water (sufficient to completely submerge the nuts when placed in a bowl with about an inch or two of water over the top of the nuts…does this make sense? Hope so)
·        Fresh ginger (optional – I like this when I drink the milk by itself – this milk goes well with cinnamon as well)
·        Sweetener of your choice

What to do...
·       Soak the fresh [washed and sorted] tiger nuts in a covered container overnight (if you are using dried or roasted tiger nuts, you may need to soak them for about 2 days to get them soft enough to blend) – I’d rather keep them in the fridge while soaking so they don’t ferment

·        Rinse the nuts then blend in batches (I do a handful at a time)– don’t add to much water to the blender though – just enough to ‘move things along’ in the blender.

·       Tip each batch into a waiting sieve and allow the milk run through until you are done blending. (I usually blend the fresh ginger with the last batch)

·       Now pass the chaff through a fine sieve (I have a chiffon scarf I bought some time back that I use for things like this –comes in handy when I make sorrel drink aka zobo). You may want to add just a bit of water to get the entire flavor out of the tiger nut chaff. Some people pass the chaff through the blender again to ensure that all the milk is extracted out of the material.

·       At this point you can sweeten to your taste then refrigerate (the milk keeps for up to 48hours)

This Tiger nut milk can be drunk on its own, with cereal, with oats and other meals that require milk. And I’m thinking that it will be viable option for people who are lactose intolerant.

 
Personally, I get the most value when I chomp on the fresh nuts – it’s my nod at healthy snacking. But whatever you try, it’s as enjoyable and healthy.

Don’t be shy… share DROPIT4LIFE on Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn!
Don’t forget, you can get weekly updates sent straight to your email if you type in your email address in the space provided on the right, and click ‘submit’!
Don’t forget to activate your subscription!

1 comment:

  1. Great info Liz!!! I love the nuts....thanks

    ReplyDelete